Creating a Game Pass
Creating a Game Pass
Game passes allow Roblox developers to create special passes that can only be bought once per player using Robux. They can be used to give players special access to a restricted area, an in-game avatar item, or a permanent power-up. Since players only need to purchase a game pass once, they’ll always have this special effect, even after leaving and rejoining a game.
Create a new Game Pass
Making a new game pass is done through the Roblox website. There, you can create a game pass and give it details like a description and change its cost in Robux. After creating a game pass online, you’ll then need to add a script that lets players buy the pass and activate it’s effect.
If you haven’t published your game to Roblox, publish it now. For information on publishing your game, click here.
Go to the Create page where you manage games.
In My Creations > Games > find your published game. On the right side, in the settings drop-down menu, select Create Game Pass.
- Your game pass needs an icon that is shown to players. To download a premade icon to test with, right click on the image below and save it to your desktop.
Creating Your Own Icon »
To create your own icon, you’ll need to change a template icon. Game passes require an image of exactly 150×150 pixels.
- Save the following template to your computer by right-clicking the image and selecting Save Image As….
- In an image editor or drawing application, fill in the blank circular area with your artwork.
- Save your customized game pass image with a new file name.
As you work, keep in mind the following:
- The black corners will be invisible in the final image, so be careful not to draw over them.
- Don’t resize the template — uploaded game pass images must be exactly 150×150 pixels.
- Click Choose File to upload your icon.
- Give your game pass a name and description.
Practicing Ethical Entrepreneurship: Writing Descriptions
A description should let the player know exactly what they’re getting so they feel their purchase was fair.
Not specific enough: Gives you something cool!
Specific: Leaves a red trail wherever your spoon goes!
- Press Preview to double-check your work and then click Verify Upload.
Icon Images Don't Show up Instantly
You might not see your icon right-away. Anything uploaded to Roblox, like icons, needs to be approved by the moderation team. This helps keep users safe from harmful content.
Change the Game Pass Price
Game passes can be bought using Robux, Roblox’s virtual currency.
- To the right of your game pass, click the gear and select Configure.
- Click the toggle next to Item for Sale to allow players to see the game pass in your game’s store.
- Set the price. For example, 50 is a reasonable price that users might pay.
Setting Good Prices for Items »
Too high a price means fewer players will buy it.
To come up with a good price for your game pass, try:
- Asking a friend who plays Roblox how much they would pay.
- Playing other Roblox games and looking at the prices they charge for similar game passes.
- Thinking about how much impact it has on the game. A game pass that gives a simple special effect should be worth less than a game pass that gives players access to a brand new area in the game.
Marketplace Fees »
While Roblox offers many tools for free, like Roblox Studio and hosting your games online, it does charge a Marketplace Fee for any purchases players make in your game. The money earned through this fee helps Roblox continue to provide new features and keep online servers for your games running.
Previous Creating a Tool Trail Next Creating an In-Game Purchase