Using Terrain Tools
Using Terrain Tools
The Terrain Editor is used to create realistic landscapes like mountains, rivers, and canyons. To practice your skills in sculpting terrain, you’ll create a version of Old Faithful , a famous geyser that’s part of Yellowstone National Park in the United States.
Creating a New Project
- In Roblox Studio, click the New button in the upper-left.
- Select the Flat Terrain template.
Using the Terrain Editor
Using the Terrain Editor, you can generate random terrain, add rocks and other material, and create landscapes.
- In the Home tab, click the Terrain Editor.
- In the Create tab, click on Generate.
- At the bottom, under Other Settings, click Generate.
- Wait until the progress bar has finished.
With a basic map, you can now add rocks and salt to the environment using the Paint Tool.
- Under the Terrain Editor, click the Paint button. This tool lets you change the appearance of terrain with different materials, like grass, rocks, or even water.
- With the Paint tool selected, find Material Settings and pick the Rock material.
- Change the Base Size to be larger, such as a number of
14. Then, left-click and drag the tool across the center of the terrain to create a rock formation.
- Change the Paint Material to salt and add it near the center.
With the rocks and salt, you’ll now add water to the geyser center.
- Under the Terrain Editor, click the Subtract button. This tool slowly removes terrain and is useful for creating caves, rivers, and lakes.
- Because all terrain is created on a grid, it’s important to get the right angle with your camera view. To make it easier to subtract, angle your camera so it points down at the geyser like below.
- Click and drag the tool over the center of the salt to create a hole in the center where you’ll add water.
- Under the Terrain Editor, click the Paint button.
Painting with Water
Instead of adding water, it’s best to paint with water. This makes sure that your water looks over terrain you’ve created.
Paint the terrain in the middle to create water.
In the Home tab, click Play to explore your environment.
Optional Challenge: Create a Geyser Effect »
Learn More about Terrain Tools
While this tutorial covered a few parts of the Terrain Editor, there are many more tools like Erode or Using Regions that can help you create environments. Check out Intro to Terrain to learn more about each tool.
These documents are licensed by Roblox Corporation under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Roblox, Powering Imagination, and Robux are trademarks of Roblox Corporation, registered in the United States and other countries.